Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Week 8

Assignments 1-2

I was able to read both articles and watch the presentation.   I am usually a fiction reader, but do enjoy narrative non-fiction a great deal,  but, like anything, it is using appeal factors to really find the right book.  The articles pointed out  the necessity for a librarian to familiarize themselves with current narrative non fiction titles, to best help customers who come to the branch.   Showing them a dewey area may not be enough, you may have to pull out a title or two and actually do a booktalk.   There are several non fiction titles I like to use as "go to" non fiction, but I also have to keep on top of titles that are currently coming out.   Sometimes looking at the New York Times bestseller lists for non fiction can give me a quick fix of what is popular.

The four genres I will be working on are:

crime
faith
science
history


Crime will be easy because I love true crime and am anxious to look and see what titles have recently surfaced in that area.   The others are non fiction that I don't normally read at all, so I see it as a bit of a challenge.    I will be sure to post what I have discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment