Monday, May 6, 2013

Be More Bookish Assigment time.

This is my response to "conversation one"

The last book I read was Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Everyone is reading it so I had to pick it up. It was lovely. She is such an interesting woman and so brave. I enjoyed the descriptions of the countries she went to and what she did while she was there, of course, but I think what I liked most was how she shared her inner thoughts — so reflective but funny too. I thought it might be just light fluff or all me, me, me, me, but it was so much more than that. I read all the Oprah books and just love them. Anyway I wanted to ask you for a few suggestions for my book group. It’s my turn to pick the title.


Here I picked up on the fact that she liked the setting and the description of the setting,  she also liked a personal twist with a little introspection and enjoyed things that were slightly literary with less fluff.

So, I would suggest   "A walk in woods"  by Bill Bryson and "Under the Tuscasn Sun" by Frances Mayes, both have the travel, new vista element but also have the introspection and could be discussable.

I may also throw in "Julie and Julia" for fun, because it is about someone who learns about herself while learning the art of French cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment