Friday, May 3, 2013

Everyone needs a hobby

This past week, I have been on a crusade.

My free time is limited but when I found myself with a spare moment, I worked on trying to save the TV series SMASH.   NBC has not been kind to the struggling show,  starting the season in February,  limiting the number of episodes,  and then moving it to the "death slot" on Saturday nights.

SMASH fought back, though.   They hired Jennifer Hudson to belt out a few tunes.  They added Bernadette Peters as a recurring character.  They even featured Liza Minnelli. They put pizazz back on the small screen,  and add some catchy tunes to boot.  I figured that I should do my part.  A Facebook campaign was launched.  Emails were frantically sent,  petitions were signed and even E! Online had a frantic few days of mad power  voting to see which one show that was being canned deserved another shot.   The SMASH fans fought hard and victory was won.  SMASH won the poll, but will NBC listen?

The future is unclear,  but I can tell  you this.   If SMASH returns next season, I still will be watching.   I have stayed with the show for this long, and I need to know if the imaginary Broadway shows "Bombshell" and "Hit List"  will win the imaginary Tony award.

You can currently check out season one at your local library so you can catch up on what you missed, with season two just around the corner.   If you are not sure what to expect, think GLEE, but in the world of musical theater with a healthy dose of Debra Messing and Katharine McPhee. Yes, it sounds like I am name dropping but this show has talent in spades. 

After all, who could EVER get enough of Anjelica Huston?

No comments:

Post a Comment